I Got a Search Bar!

Friday, December 16, 2011

Elton John & Leon Russell - The Union

Somehow I managed to go the entire year without finding out about this album:
Now that I found it, it's definitely one of my favorites of the year and actually the first album in a long time that I'm excited to over and over again in its entirety.
You don't get music like this anymore. The whole album has just an awesome old sound. A mix of

One of my favorite songs from the album: "Hey Ahab"



And a little "making of" video from Elton John:

Listen to Leon sing "A Song for You" (or in that clip at 0:21), there's no question that he had a strong influence on Elton John's song writing/piano playing.

And if I haven't convinced you yet, here's an awesome Rolling Stone review of the album.
Yes, they still actually write about good music and have well written reviews. I was surprised too.

More proof, if you still don't believe me:
Leon Russell's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction and duet with John Mayer


Also, originals are great, but I think Ray Charles' rendition of 'A Song for You' is still my favorite.

No comments: