I Got a Search Bar!

Thursday, September 27, 2012

"Anti-obesity: The new homophobia?"

Old article from Salon, but it came up again in conversation and it's dumb enough that I wanted to share some thoughts.

Simply starting with the subtitle, we're off to a terrible start:
Telling fat people they ought to be thin is about as helpful as telling gay people they should be straight
How are these at all the same??
One is nature (I am among the many that sexuality is something that originates from birth), the other is completely preventable (Stop. Eating.)

He continues for a bit then we get to this:
To a remarkable degree, attempts to cure obesity resemble attempted cures for homosexuality, with the key difference being that while our public health authorities have come to denounce the latter as ineffective, unnecessary and ultimately harmful, they continue to employ the most extreme rhetoric in regard to the former. For example, the goal of Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move! campaign is no less than to “end childhood obesity within a generation,” that is, to create an America with no fat children in it.
That is exactly the point! We don't want fat people!
It's bad for their own health and it causes healthcare costs to go up (for them and everyone else).
As far as I know, gay people aren't any more or less healthy than the average person (in fact, I bet most are healthier).

I won't quote the entire article, instead you should go read it yourself. Let me know what you think.
(Salon)

But I don't think I'm alone thinking this is just a ridiculous concept.

The ever-offensive, Mr. Ricky Gervais seems to be of the same mindset:


Thoughts?

No comments: