I Got a Search Bar!

Monday, April 15, 2013

Marathon Monday 2013

Finally home after a long, unbelievable day...

Quick shout out to all my friends who competed in today's events, and glad to report that all are safe and accounted for.
Also, thanks to my friend, Joel, for letting me crash at his place while the day unfolded. If not for him, I would have had to wander around while chaos erupted and the city was being locked down.



Patriot's Day has always been my favorite day to walk around Boston.
The temperature is usually just right (one of the rare, not too hot, not too cold, days) and the atmosphere is incredibly joyous with families and friends of runners celebrating their loved ones' feats of human strength, will, and determination.

I often think about what an odd sporting event a marathon is and almost remarked on social media the strange way we choose to acknowledge a Greek messenger's 26.2 mile run to Athens, after which he collapses and dies of exhaustion.
I'm glad now I did not, because the story seems both inappropriate and sickly prophetic considering the day's events.

There will be many more outlets to see and hear about today's news, but here are a couple that quickly sum up the events:

CNN photo gallery [Warning: Some images may be graphic]: http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/15/us/gallery/boston-marathon-explosions/index.html

The Atlantic photo gallery [Warning: More graphic images]:
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/04/photos-of-the-boston-marathon-bombing/100495/

And finally, this video will be shown a hundred times over, but it is an incredible up-close account of the explosion and rapid response thereafter:


No comments: